11.14.2012

11.11

I remember when Jesse tells me to make a wish whenever 11:11 hits. I, would then close my eyes and think of what I wanted to happen. I asked him why 11:11 and he said, he doesn't know, just what was taught to him growing up.

November 11 is known to Canadians as Remembrance Day or the Poppy Day, when everyone remembers the men and women who fought and continually fight for Canada in times of war and peace. It is normal to see people wearing a red poppy on the left lapel or near the heart during this time or nearing November 11. It is my first time to witness a Remembrance Day ceremony and I find it really heartfelt. You see, the Philippines doesn't have Remembrance Day but there are a lot of holidays to celebrate specific heroes and historic events (i.e. Jose Rizal Day, EDSA 1, National Heroes Day) but I feel like it just became as 'one of those holidays' where people book an out of town trip. There maybe ceremonies held but it's for the government officials and even though it is broadcasted live on TV, I doubt that people are watching them. So yes, it is sad. I heard one foreigner commented that Filipinos forget easily and I am afraid, sad as it is, it is true. I hope Filipinos can learn to remember how freedom was achieved and learn to value and protect it.

I like that even though one day is allotted for their heroes, everyone is participating. We went there with the entire family including kids in tow. It's a very good way to teach the younger generations history and the value of freedom we are having now. Here are some pictures during the Remembrance Day Ceremony:





No comments:

Post a Comment