10.25.2012

Cultural Difference

In the Philippines it is very normal to give some of your food to your neighbors especially when you are new in the neighborhood. My mom always shares whatever she cooks for the day to neighbors and the neighbors would do the same. It's a natural thing for Filipinos and it's considered rude to decline. It doesn't matter whether you've eaten or not. What we do is we transfer the food to our own container, return the container/ bowl/ plate to the owner and happily thank them for the 'gift'...

Now, imagine my shock when I went to the old lady in Apt 8 and offered her a bowl of steaming pansit (stir-fried noodles), as my attempt to be friendly, only to be declined saying she already had supper. That's the first time that has ever happened to me...ever... Jesse said, it's not usually done here. Yeah, I get it but still, isn't it a bit rude? Oh well, as the title says - cultural difference. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment